Re: Linux Firewall

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002 13:18:35 -0700 (PDT) Dom Leon <dom6791@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I was wondering if you guys knew is it was possible to
> make Linux (Debian) a firewall for packets comign in
> from the router? I would like the machines to get
> their internet connection from the router, but to
> first have Linux be the firewall before the packets
> actually reach the machines on my network.

Sure, simply configure a NAT firewall on the Linux system preferrably with
at least two NICs.  Configure the internal machines to use the Linux
system as their default gateway, and configure the Linux system to use the
router as it's gateway.

> The only thing which comes to mind is to configure
> linux's IP to be on the DMZ zone on the router.

Nah, as indicated above, put it physically in between your router and the
rest of your network.

--
Jamin W. Collins