Re: Where is Debian going?

On  Kristian A. Rink <afterimage@gmx.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 11:36:17 -0500
> jeff <jmr71769@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > my good man, you need not wonder...who CARES about
> > what ANYONE ELSE thinks? use debian...it's good
> > for YOU!!!
>
> Well, I guess you're making it a little too easy. Actually, I am working
> in a store earning money by _selling_ computers, and whenever I try to
> make people use GNU/Linux

You'd most likely lose my business right there.  I may be in the minority
here, but as I see it, a sales person's job is to provide a service of
help me purchase what I'm after.  It's not their job to _make_ me do
anything.

> and someone wants (right now), let's say, KDE
> 3.x or GNOME 2, I surely will _have_ to care what anyone else thinks;
> being in trouble in those situations because I like Debian, I don't
> install anything else on those machines

These are the decisions of your business practices and are yours to make.
However, they have littel bearing on Debian.

> but those packages aren't part
> of any Debian package yet and it always takes a lot of time to convince
> people to go with stable rather than with latest software packages.

Again, I don't see this as a sales person's job.  Let the customer have
what they want.

> Hmmmmmmm.... don't get me wrong, but ever thought about people that
> don't have time / aren't interested in playing around with their machine
> and just want their work to be done? Seeing our office folks running
> their Microsoft Word stuff, seeing how much, let's say, abiword has
> increased its capabilities of handling right this sort of files, I just
> can say that sometimes, though only sometimes and in very special cases,
> recent software actually __is__ needed.

And, as has been stated numerous times before, this can easily be
accomplished on a case-by-case basis with apt and pinning.  The
latest-and-greatest versions of your apps can be pulled from unstable (or
other unofficial sources).

--
Jamin W. Collins