Re: Where is Debian going?

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 11:36:17 -0500
jeff <jmr71769@earthlink.net> wrote:

> my good man, you need not wonder...who CARES about
> what ANYONE ELSE thinks? use debian...it's good
> for YOU!!!

Well, I guess you're making it a little too easy. Actually, I am working
in a store earning money by _selling_ computers, and whenever I try to
make people use GNU/Linux and someone wants (right now), let's say, KDE
3.x or GNOME 2, I surely will _have_ to care what anyone else thinks;
being in trouble in those situations because I like Debian, I don't
install anything else on those machines but those packages aren't part
of any Debian package yet and it always takes a lot of time to convince
people to go with stable rather than with latest software packages.

> rabble rousing fluff. you needn't worry about
> where debian is going...rather, enjoy what it can
> do for you! what else is there? do your part as a

I think this is also wrong. I can't say that I share all of Guiseppe's
opinions, but being a part of the Debian community also should include
the chance to make some personal wishes heard or to just write some
critical thoughts on it. No problem about this, freedom of speech and
all. And, besides this: _OF COURSE_ I also would worry (or, let's say,
care) about the future of Debian, since I am using Debian on a lot of
machines and I would feel sad if the reasons why I am using Debian
(stability, reliability, great package management) suddenly would go
away. If Debian indeed _is_ the community, it should be all our concern
what Debian's future will be like.

> * i've been using Debian for a little over a year
> now...and, i disagree with your statement that
> n00bz wouldn't go near the unstable stuff. just
> not true. i LOVE messing with unstable...even to

Actually, I am spending six years now with two distros (Slackware and
Debian), and on both of those systems I really ___never___ would tell
any real newbie to get unstable software just to have recent software
packages. That's why the stuff is unstable, and I am _sure_ that a
_real_ GNU/Linux beginner / learner is able to fix, let's say,  a Debian
unstable system that severely crashed. I definitely think it's a wise
choice to stay with stable until one feels safe enough to mess with
unstable, and I guess it's way better in those cases to explain to
people why stable is stable and why, this way, latest software versions
aren't in 'stable' than to tell them 'just go get unstable'.

> * lastly, the plain old vanilla install of Debian
> 2.2r6 works just fine. i don't see why you don't
> like it. even for a n00b like me, i find it rather
> oversimplified and easy to play with. with a day's

Hmmmmmmm.... don't get me wrong, but ever thought about people that
don't have time / aren't interested in playing around with their machine
and just want their work to be done? Seeing our office folks running
their Microsoft Word stuff, seeing how much, let's say, abiword has
increased its capabilities of handling right this sort of files, I just
can say that sometimes, though only sometimes and in very special cases,
recent software actually __is__ needed.

Cheers,
Kris