Re:[decided to reinstall] xhost setting problem

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas R. Shemanske" <thomas.r.shemanske@dartmouth.edu>
To: "Sivea Key" <siveakey@attbi.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 3:03 PM
Subject: Re: xhost setting problem

> Sivea Key wrote:
> > I am connecting a distributed type application to xserver. I have found
that
> > I must set xhost +<hostname> even though it is a local app. At this time
> > am not concerned about security. This is a networking test environment
and
> > needs to be very simple. However, on one machine, when I attempt to set
> > xhost +<hostname> I get the following:
> >
> > _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 113
> > xhost: unable to open display "opus:0"
> >
> > I have xwindows started and have opened an xterm window within it using
the
> > same logon that I used to start xwin. I am using static ip addressing
and
> > have listed the ip address followed by the local host name (along with
the
> > address and host names of the other pertinent hosts on the test network)
> > /etc/hosts. I have no apparent problems with networking and this same
> > procedure seems to work just fine on a similarly configured box on the
same
> > network. There may be some garbage left somewhere from previous attempts
> > get this stuff up and running (see previous list messages from me!) but
> > don't know where to begin to look.
> >
> > Thanks for your help!
> >
> > Sivea
> >

> Are you exporting XAUTHORITY=/home/login_name/.Xauthority   ?

No, I think you are talking about something to do with xauth. I have not
used that before and it looks rather complicated from the man page
descriptions. I have decided to reinstall on that machine since my partner
in crime did a lot of "tinkering" without documentation. It's good for me to
get the practice anyway and since I have no idea where he may have left
something lurking, I probably shouldn't trouble you all with this problem.
At least until I have a clean install and can say for certain what has been
done to it!