Re: x and multiple users

Please don't start new threads by replying to an existing unrelated
message.

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 23:09:49 -0400
Matt Price <matt.price@utoronto.ca> wrote:

> When I log in to X windows, I usually try not to log in as root.  But
> sometimes I  want to run a graphical program as root -- synaptic,
> say, or xconfig.
(snip)
> I go into an xterm, su, and enter the
> command.  WHen I do that, though, I get an error message saying user
> can't connect to display.
(snip)
> so:  is there a simple solution to this problem?  Please say yes!

Yep.  The secret is to set the XAUTHORITY enviroment variable.  I set mine
in ~/.bashrc like so:

    XAUTHORITY=$HOME/.Xauthority
    export XAUTHORITY

Now, when you become root via 'su' (not 'su -'), you will still have a
pointer to the magic .Xauthority file associated with the original user
accounts open X display.

--
Jamin W. Collins