x and multiple users

Hi there,

When I log in to X windows, I usually try not to log in as root. But sometimes I want to run a graphical program as root -- synaptic, say, or xconfig. so, since Gnome makes it somewhat difficult to directly run a command as another user (at least, unintuitive; something is not working with my gnome documentation, so I haven't gone through that stuff yet), I go into an xterm, su, and enter the command. WHen I do that, though, I get an error message saying user can't connect to display.

Now I assume this is not an unavoidable consequence of running X -- otherwise these graphical programs probably wouldn't exist, right? But I don't know how/ where to configure my xserver to let other users run commands on it. I'm using xfree86 4.1, by the way. Right now my solution is to log in to x as root (!) and do all my admin there, then log out again. But if I do that, then I can't (for instance) access mail with evolution, since I get that same error message about can't-connect-to-display. (I know, I know, I should be using Mutt -- but one thing at a time, please!) And since most of my admin questions are being answered via email... well, it all gets a bit hectic.

so: is there a simple solution to this problem? Please say yes! thanks again,

matt