Re: Where is Debian going?

Shri,

On Thursday 11 July 2002 07:22 am, Shri Shrikumar wrote:
[snip]
> I understand the desire to keep the newbies away but should we really
> make it so difficult for them to start on a distro that makes life so
> much easier and using your machine enjoyable. They'll just go to redhat,
> get fed up and go back to windows. Sure, no real loss for debian, but
> for them it could be and all because debian is a little hostile to
> newbies.,
>
> Please dont get me wrong. I am not putting this list down since it is a
> godsend for newbies. I was merely trying to suggest a way to make it
> friendlier.
[snip]

You seem to be saying, "since testing is easier to use by virtue of being more
up-to-date in all the fancy-schmancy GUI stuff, etc., we should tell newbies
to use testing."

True, woody, when released, will be much easier for newbies to deal with.  And
right now, you might be sane to  a newbie to try woody first, but woody's in
a unique situation right now - it's about to be released.  But what about
once woody's released?  Then newbies should install woody, not the new
testing distribution.

Therefore, the thing that debian needs to do in order to help newbies is
release woody.  :)  And that will happen real soon now, I am sure.  So no
worries.

A final thought: Debian, by virtue of the package management tools, makes it a
cinch (relative to other distros and OSes, anyway) to upgrade large parts of
the system.  Get newbies on stable and then help them upgrade only parts of
the system if they lust after some new version of something particular.

David Richmond
drich@symphonicman.com