Re: highly touted package management tools vs. modem user

on Tue, Jul 09, 2002, Dan Jacobson (jidanni@dman.ddts.net) wrote:

> Well, my conclusion about Debian's highly touted package management
> system in regards to mostly offline modem users is: being that those
> working in the Debian Towers all have snazzy net connections, at least
> certainly those working on the elite apt team, they'll never know the
> frustrations incurred by those who's items in /etc/apt/sources.list
> are not all necessarily on line, and also have a woody CDROM set.

Debian's designed for something similar to your situation -- a widely
distributed developer (and user) base, with network connections of
varying quality, with frequent upgrades, allowing for in-place system
maintenance.  I've installed a dozen or more systems over 56K dialup,
and maintained four systems over same.  Though the T-1 at the office is
handy.... ;-)

> Indeed it seems dselect is now right out, never usable again, as it
> now asks:

dselect has a tendency to get borked.  Frankly, with newer tools out,
you're better off using apt-get or aptitude in its stead.

One of your problems appears to be a corrupted (or garbled) package
state.  I haven't done major surgery on this for a while, and suspect
dselect keeps its state somewhere other than apt.  However, for apt, you
can get state with:

    $ dpkg --get-selections \* > current-state

If you want to modify this, open it with your favorite editor:

    $ cp current-state desired-state
    $ $EDITOR desired-state

...and select among 'hold', 'install', 'deinstall' and 'purge' for
desired state, then:

    $ dpgk --set-selections < desired-state.

If anyone does have suggestions for rectifying dselect state, I'd be
interested in seeing it.

> Ok, never mind that.  I had just used apt-cdrom to restore the CDROMs
> after foolishly removing them from sources.list.  Well, at least there
> are other tools left.  As you might tell, I feel threatened by all
> these tools I don't understand.

Read up on them, or ask on list.  Or don't use them and stop carping
about them.

Note too that there are various other ways to proceed, including
creating a local mirror, which you maintain by means of your choosing.
If you have the storage (2-10 GiB is more than sufficient) and means to
have reasonably current CDs or DVDs shipped to you once a month or so,
you can keep your system updated by way of an associate with a
high-speed connection.  Based on my experience, even tracking unstable,
you'd rarely see more than a couple of CDs worth of updates monthly.
Your mirror would serve up the packages locally, your local systems
would point to your local mirror in /etc/apt/sources.list.  Your updates
should proceed rapidly from that point.

> Anyway, my dream is: if something is unreachable, assume I am
> offline...  I mean I need a HOWTO for users with a 2 month old CD set,
> 28 to ~40K modem speed costly brief connection, who only want 5% of
> the upgrades, and I suppose only want to "update" once every two
> weeks.

That pretty much describes my situation, and it works for me, but my
phone call is local and unmetered.  Debian certainly offers flexibility
to address a wide range of situations and needs.

Peace.

   Übersoft:  We Aim.
     http://www.ubersoft.net/