Re: highly touted package management tools vs. modem user

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 10:03:21PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 05:28:55AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> > Well, my conclusion about Debian's highly touted package management
> > system in regards to mostly offline modem users is: being that those
> > working in the Debian Towers all have snazzy net connections, at least
> > certainly those working on the elite apt team, they'll never know the
> > frustrations incurred by those who's items in /etc/apt/sources.list
> > are not all necessarily on line, and also have a woody CDROM set.
>
> I have been using Debian over a dialup for almost 5 years now. In fact,
> I have been updating not 1, but 15 computers via apt over a *single* 56k
> dialup atleast once a month.
Then I hope you have something like squid/apt-proxy or a partial local
mirror. Besides that, do you have to pay for every minute that you are
online? Dan (and I) do, and he (and my parents) aren't too happy if the
downloads take very long. I think what Dan wants, is once every week or
so to see what new versions there are of what packages, and to see what
new packages there are, and then only upgrade those that he wants to
upgrade (he says he usually only wants to upgrade about 5%) (the upgrade
should probably be done by getting the source and compiling locally
against the (older, already installed) libs). And if Dan wants to
install a new package which is also on one of his CD's, he wants that
package, and not the latest version which is currently online. So, I
guess Dan should just always change his sources.list every time he goes
online and offline and also do an update then.

> Aside from that, I don't see your correlation of apt to your lack of
> bandwidth. The size of the packages to install has nothing to do with
> the program to download it.
True. But I think what he meant to say was: all new cool versions are
online, but I only need those very new versions for just a couple of
packages; for the rest, those on the CD's are fine.

Cheers
Admar