Re: highly touted package management tools vs. modem user

* Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) [020709 23:05]:
> dselect has a tendency to get borked.  Frankly, with newer tools out,
> you're better off using apt-get or aptitude in its stead.
>
> One of your problems appears to be a corrupted (or garbled) package
> state.  I haven't done major surgery on this for a while, and suspect
> dselect keeps its state somewhere other than apt.  However, for apt, you
> can get state with:
>
>     $ dpkg --get-selections \* > current-state
>
> If you want to modify this, open it with your favorite editor:
>
>     $ cp current-state desired-state
>     $ $EDITOR desired-state
>
> ...and select among 'hold', 'install', 'deinstall' and 'purge' for
> desired state, then:
>
>     $ dpgk --set-selections < desired-state.
>
> If anyone does have suggestions for rectifying dselect state, I'd be
> interested in seeing it.

Yeah: do exactly what you jsut said. dpkg and dselect use the same
data. Using dpkg --{g,s}et-selections is the same as using dselect to
change package states. In order to actually effect those selections, you
then need to either "dselect install" or "apt-get dselect-upgrade".

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/