Re: Getting rid of MS-win

On Tuesday 09 July 2002 04:16 pm, Robert Ian Smit wrote:
> Since a couple of weeks I have been running Debian as my main
> system. I think I am ready to get rid of the rather large fat32
> partition on my harddisk.

	Good Choice!  :--)

> I will do a clean install of Debian once I have setup the partitions
> on my drive. I know this is not strictly necessary, but since I
> already have woody cdroms and a decent internet connection it's
> easier to make a new start than to resize and remove partitions.

	Why a new start? Is something wrong with your existing setup???

> Is it possible to install Windows 98 on another drive than primary
> master or on a partition on the end of a  drive?

	Yes. On both. I have commonly partitioned drives, allowing 2 gig for
windon't, leaving the rest unpartitioned until the debian install. And yes,
you can put it on another drive. If you install debian first and use the full
size of the existing drive, when you do the windon't install, it will see the
'other drive' as the only drive available to install to and subsequently make
it C:

> Ideally I would reserve 2Gb on the end of my drive to install
> Windows if I have to for whatever reason.

	You don't. :--)  VMWare and others exist JUST for these cases. I again have
15 other O/S's running within VMWare, all under SID.

> Is it at all possible with lilo or grub? How should I partition the
> drive? Are there other things to consider?

	Oooo! This is too tempting to pass up. :--)
	Yes lilo AND/OR grub will allow multi-boot setups.
	Yes, there are other things to consider. Consider that you're supporting a
criminal enterprise by the use of windon't. :--)  (see! i told you it was too
good to pass up!!)

> After using Windows for years I haven't missed it for a moment since
> using Debian. It just feels a bit scary to get past the point of no
> return.

	It does, but that's why you (and the rest of us) are here. We support each
each other, as much as we can. And sooner or later, The Gates of Hell will be
gone and the whole world will rejoice. (lords i'm a schmuck today!)

> Bob

	On the serious side Bob, it's simple. I've done it hundreds of times. With
you not needing to worry about saving old data, you've got a really simple
install ahead of you.
	Put windon't on a 2 gig partition leaving the rest unpartitioned
	Install Debian to the unpartitioned space
	Edit the /etc/lilo.conf
	Run /sbin/lilo
	Reboot

	See! Simple Stuff. And yes, ifin ya need an assist, we're all still here for
ya. :--))

- --
                           OutCast Computer Consultants of Central Oregon
                                 http://outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
                                 griz@outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
      (541) 504-1388  /\IRC: 205.227.115.251:6667:#OutCasts /\ICQ: UIN 138930