Re: Pico

On 08/07/02 Jamin W. Collins did speaketh:

> Don't think that was the point.  There's a lot about Vim that pico/nano
> doesn't need to do.  Some people like to have a very basic editor around.
> One that they can jump right in and start using to make minor changes to
> text/conf files without having to learn a slew of commands.  I've looked
> at both vi(m) and (x)emacs, both more or less require a complete change in
> how I think about editing.  Something I'm not willing to do.  So, I look
> for other editors.

    Granted, but...

                            *-y* *easy*
-y      Easy mode.  Implied for |evim| and |eview|.  Starts with
        'insertmode' set and behaves like a click-and-type editor.
        This sources the script $VIMRUNTIME/evim.vim.  Mappings are
        set up to work like most click-and-type editors, see
        |evim-keys|.  The GUI is started when available.
        {not in Vi}

    Pico was based on microemacs. The most useful thing they added was the
justify command, and the tool option. I just find any editor lacking the
ability to easily mangle text to be insufficient for me, so I prefer Vi at a
bare minimum. I tend to use Emacs for large projects, and Vim for smaller
work.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix