Re: /usr/include/bits/local_lim.h:36: linux/limits.h: Permission denied (SOLVED, please read!)

David Z Maze wrote:
("Permission denied" from #include <limits.h>, because that tries to
include <linux/limits.h> which winds up coming from
/usr/local/include/linux with wrong permissions.)
Manuel Bilderbeek <manuel@msxnet.org> writes:

/usr/local/include/linux:
this directory was created by the lm-sensors package (as far as I
know) and did not have the right permissions!

I'm not quite sure I believe that; the machine I have that uses
lm-sensors doesn't have that directory.  What does 'dpkg -S
/usr/local/include/linux' have?  Is the directory an actual directory

No result.

or a symlink to your kernel source tree?

No, it is a real directory.

THe thing is, the kernel module that I needed wasn't in the package, so I had to install the lm-sensors-source package. The Makefile wanted to put the lm-sensor include files in /usr/local/include, which didn't exist yet. So it created this directory, but with the wrong permissions.

Is this a package bug? Or is it my own fault? (Maybe I shouldn't have
installed the lm-sensors stuff as root? (How else then? ;-))

Using kernel-package and following the directions in
/usr/share/doc/lm-sensors-source/README.Debian; you don't need root
proper (though you do need fakeroot to build packages) until you're
getting around to installing packages.  How did you do it?

See above. I ran make as root, as far as I remember (it's a couple of weeks ago).

Best regards,

Manuel Bilderbeek