OOo v. OO (tm) (was Re: Linux-based editor for PowerPoint presentations?)

on Sun, Jul 07, 2002, L J Laubenheimer (ljl@rahul.net) wrote:
> Rene Engelhard wrote:
>
> >SJ wrote:
> >^^ Please put a real name into your mail program...
>

> Why?  What's wrong with SJ??
>

> >Yes, you typed in the wrong package name :-)
> >
> >apt-get install openoffice.org
>
> Hmmm.  That's a very unusual package naming.  Usually you have
> program-1.2.3 type names

The name "OpenOffice" was claimed by someone else.  So OOo tagged on the
.org.  I'd tell you who the real OpenOffice is, but the first four pages
of Google results don't turn up an English-language page.  May be a
Dutch outfit.

A search of the USPTO TESS database returns no results for "openoffice".

Peace.

   Hollings:  bought, paid for, but couldn't deliver the CBDTPA:
     http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/hollings.s2048.032102.html