Re: Can't connect to Internet

hanshans@softhome.net wrote:

Hello -
If I am posting to the wrong list, please tell me where to go.
I just installed potato via floppies and am now trying to connect to my isp to download the rest of the debian os. I used pppconfig to enter the info and create the files. Then I type 'pon' and there are no error messages. Then I try to ping 123.123.123.123 (I don't konw how else to test the connection) and it says something like the "network is unreachable".
Am I forgetting a step?
Thanks so much in advance if anyone can shed some light. I'm so frustrated with Linux right now. I love what it is about, but I'm clueless and I don't know where to go.
Thanks again --
Hans

That address of 123x4 looks suspicious; is it a real address?

What modem do you have? Is it internal or external? Do you hear it dial out when you type "pon"? If not, and if you have minicom installed, run it and type something simple like "ATZ" and see if you get an "OK" in response, in order to test your system's connection to the modem.

"plog" (as root) will show you the log of your "pon" attempt.