Re: OT -- was Re: Can't connect to Internet

On Sunday 07 July 2002 09:45 pm, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 07:46:03PM -0700, ben wrote:
> | >
> | > The "self-edit" still put the word in *my* brain, where I'd prefer
> | > it not to be.
>
> Ditto.  (if I had read the original post slowly and carefully enough
> the first time to have seen half of what was written)
>
> | > Call me a prude . . . .   :-)
> |
> | c'mon, kent. do a search of the archives for the expression he used,
> | and then a search to see how much offense that usage has drawn.
>
> That is not the point.  I didn't take a vote to determine whether or
> not I find that language acceptable.

what does this mean?

> | of course it brings 'the word' to mind--in fact, that's the point of
> | abbreviated usage,
>
> Then don't use it :-).  That's an easy solution.

why not? for whom is that a solution?

> | to indicate how frustrated and how much in need of aid the user is
> | at a given point.
>
> There are better methods.

for whom?

> | in fact, i find egregious censorship even more offensive than the
> | expression
>
> Then censor yourself in a non-egregious manner :-).  The goal is not
> to censor people but rather to encourage people to act in a more
> polite manner.

censor myself? have you read the original post?

> | @#$%'s sake, lighten up.
>
> Thank you, but no thanks.
>
> Do note, however, that my preference for a lack of foul language
> doesn't preclude providing useful information (unless I can't really
> find the actual problem in the midst of the noise).

"Thanks so much in advance if anyone can shed some light. I'm so frustrated
with Linux right now. I love what it is about, but I'm f*cking clueless and
I don't know where to go. "

this, above, is the part of the original post that has generated such
strangely indignant response. sorry, dman, though i thoroughly value your
input to the list, i find your response to this thread a little extreme,
particularly your response to my assertion that the poster's mode of
expression is within the bounds that are generally regarded as reasonable.
btw, i happen to be one of those who attempted to provide useful information
toward a solution of the poster's problem, as opposed to those who haven't.

ben