Re: Need advice on email setup

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 11:19:40PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:

| I would like to rearrange the fetching of her email so that it is
| done in conjunction with my fetch, both done by fetchmail. I think I
| can do this by having fetchmail put her mail on the "ppp server"
| box, and rearrange her Netscape preferences so that it looks for
| mail locally on the ppp server box.  I think I will have to install
| POP3 service on the ppp server box, to do this.

This sounds like a good idea.

Put exim on the "ppp" box, and configure your desktop machines to use
it for outgoing mail.  Configure the server to use your ISP's
smarthost, and to queue mail until you decide to connect, then flush
it all at once.

Also in your ppp connection scripts, run fetchmail to grab both your
and your wife's mail.  Deliver it locally using the
'mda "/usr/sbin/exim %T"' option in the fetchmailrc.

You can hook in spamassassin in several ways.  One is documented at
http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/config_docs/.  Another way is to use
procmail or maildrop.  You can't do a whole lot about the spam at that
point, but you can file it in a separate folder for checking later.
Bouncing the messages isn't really an option since the return address
is usually forged, and then the bounces will get stuck on your ISP's
server.  You can't reject them (like I do, also documented on my site)
since they have already been delivered to you (the SMTP session is
over).

You can use exim or maildrop or procmail on the "ppp" box to
filter/sort the mail into the proper folders.

Then install an IMAP server (POP doesn't allow you to determine what
has and hasn't been read, and doesn't support multiple mailboxes on
the server) such as uw-imapd.  Configure the mail clients to use the
imap server as the message store.

Then you'll have a small industrial-strength mail setup :-).

I would do this if
    1)  I had an extra machine.  My desktop doubles as the server (or
        vice-versa).

    2)  I had someone else (eg parents/brothers) who wanted to use my
        domain instead of juno for mail.

HTH,
-D

--

Many are the plans in a man's heart,
but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/