Re: Recompiled kernel and killed network card (newbie)

Lisa C. Boyd wrote:

I previously posted a problem with my sound card. Following Kent's instructions on recompiling a kernel (2.4.18) - I have now killed my network connection. I am a total newbie and had a Debian developer help me with the initial install. I'm clueless as to where to start reading on installing whatever I need to install to get my network card working again. Please send along links to information (I'm not afraid to read) and/or how-to's in email.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Lisa B.

1. Find out what network card you have:
As root, run "lspci" ("lspci -v"; "lspci -vv" for even more info) to show info on PCI-style devices in your boxes.

2. Recompile your kernel, and include support for that network card (either as a module, or built-in; I'd probably use built-in -- it's simpler to get working). Sometimes the network card support for a specific network card won't be obvious; for example, a common Netgear NIC needs "tulip" support. If it's not obvious, post here what NIC you have, and I'm sure someone can tell you which driver you need.

3). If you recompiled with the NIC support built-in, reboot. If as a module, you don't really need to recompile the entire kernel, but there are other steps that I won't go into here. If you decide to go with the module, let us know and we'll give you more info.

Kent