gnome URL handler (was Comments on the new gnome-terminal.)

* paul (paul@mackinney.net) [020707 00:48]:
> Well, I figured out to to launch it with Mutt running inside, but I've
> hit a gotcha: When I ctrl-click a hyperlink, it wants to launch a new
> instance of Mozilla instead of opening a new tab in the current
> instance. This is useless, since Mozilla won't launch a new instance
> with my profile if it's already running. And since this feature is the
> only reason I run gnome-terminal at all, I'd like to figure it out.

I believe you'll have to set the URL handler for http URLs to
'gnome-moz-remote --newwin "%s"'. That'll be done in a gnome capplet,
probably, not a gnome-terminal preferences box. I'm not actually using
gnome2, so they might have changed things around in the new one, but I'd
bet that's still the way it is.

> There are no man pages, and I've come up empty on the web. Anyone know
> where I could find the config files to tinker with? (Or have a different
> solution for an easy key-combo to go from hyperlink in a terminal to
> Mozilla?)

I've become accustomed to selecting the link (in a regular old xterm),
switching over to a mozilla window, (optional: hitting ctrl+t to get a
new tab,) and middle-clicking in the page to paste in the URL. Mozilla is
good enough to take that paste and go there, without fiddling around
with the selection of the address bar or whatnot. This affords me the
ability to configure my mutt window (an xterm) the way I like with my
.Xresources file, and without having to go pointing and clicking at
drop-down boxes and such (as I would have had to do to configure a
gnome-terminal to do the same, I imagine).

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/