Re: Promise RAID controler problems

<quote who="Damir Dezeljin">

> If the 'HW RAID' configuration with my controler isn't posible, is there
> any other IDE RAID controler which can I use for my system?

I don't know if it is possible or not, but I certainly would not
reccomend it, see www.linux-ide.org for the best supported cards.
Alvin mentioned 3ware which I reccomend, however the 6000 series of
cards which I heard had the best support are no longer made, I have
3 6800 cards in service and 1 6400 card, all work ok more or less.

if your just doing a simple raid1 I would reccomend just going
the software route. it takes a little more work but lilo and grub
can boot with the root filesystem on raid1(they don't support
any other raid levels). I have 3 or 4 systems running this way now,
at least 2 of them scsi, and 1 IDE.

linux-ide.org has a new chipset that I do not recognize as being
the only supported ide raid controller.  I don't use the 2.4
kernel so maybe its only supported there(I think i saw you
mention your using the 2.4.x kernel ..)

SuSE 8 has the ability to boot from a raid5 software array,
that may be because of 2.4.x, but i still don't understand how
as the lilo docs say its not supported..maybe they use a special
patch..

nate