Promise RAID controler problems

I have to set up a RAID1 (mirroring) on a machine with PROMISE FastTrak100
Tx2 IDE RAID controler.

Before installing linux there were Windows XP preinstalled on the system
and 2 disks were configured as RAID mirror. Windows sean only one
'virtual' disk.
I then installed Linux Woody and compiled kernel 2.4.18 with PROMISE
support enabled. When I restarted the system the kernel deteched two disks
(disks which should be part of the 'virtual' mirrored disk). How can I
configure my RAID controler so that I got those two disks in mirror? I
think that software RAID isn't a good solution, because software RAID
cause two transfers trought PCI bus for every write whilest a RAID
controler need only one transfer.

Another question is where can I found some loging or errors in case one
disk fails (so that I can know when I have to rebuild my mirror with a
fresh disk)? Is there any software for those things or it apears in kernel
output?

If the 'HW RAID' configuration with my controler isn't posible, is there
any other IDE RAID controler which can I use for my system?

Regards,
Dezo