Re: Promise RAID controler problems

#include <hallo.h>
Damir Dezeljin wrote on Sat Jul 06, 2002 um 06:54:59PM:

> I then installed Linux Woody and compiled kernel 2.4.18 with PROMISE

You can install Woody directly on ATARAID devices using the bf2.4 installation
flavor.

> support enabled. When I restarted the system the kernel deteched two disks
> (disks which should be part of the 'virtual' mirrored disk). How can I
> configure my RAID controler so that I got those two disks in mirror? I

Uhm, I guess you enabled the Promise driver, but forgot the RAID mode support
(in the same question below).

> If the 'HW RAID' configuration with my controler isn't posible, is there
> any other IDE RAID controler which can I use for my system?

Most "IDE RAID" products from Promise or Highpoint are not real "HW RAID" at
all. The needed calculations are done in Software (in bios/windows/linux
driver). For real hardware IDE raid, look at the Escalade series from 3ware or
the most expensive cards from Promise (those have even own memory).

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.