Re: KDE or Gnome

> I guess the other question remaining is, which would
> be least intrusive to the current setup? Would either
> replace wdm w/ their own display manager by default?
> I've probably got more of the GNOME libs installed
> already since I use GnuCash, Gnumeric and a few other
> GTK+ apps and hardly any KDE apps. Oh well. Guess I'll
> just try it out and see.....

Programs in general will use one set of libraries or the other.  With
any random installation of programs you will end up with a full
installation of both set of libraries.  As soon as you install
anything you also get the libraries for that program installed as
well.

Any proper Debian package will list all dependencies and apt will
handle them both properly to the point that you should not care if
they use one or the other.  When you install something the right
libraries will be installed as well.  You can switch back and forth
between login managers with no trouble.

The file /etc/X11/default-display-manager usually controls which one
is started by default.  Changing that file will flip the default case
from one to the other.  But at the xdm style login screen both kdm and
gdm allow you to select the other specifically.  Both remember that
you as user xyz selected something and will return to it next time.
It is really a rather intelligent system.  Take it out for a test
drive and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

[Side question to the list: Is there a debconf package that automates
editing of /etc/X11/default-display-manager?  I know of not of one and
have been editing it by hand.]

Bob