Re: KDE or Gnome

--- Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> > This is not to start a flame fest.
>
> A hard task to execute...  KDE and Gnome are very
> similar.  It would
> be much easier to list the similarities than the
> differences.  Both
> are targeting the novice desktop user.  It is hard
> to say that either
> KDE or Gnome is good at something without also
> saying that the other
> one is also good at the same thing.  They are very
> similar.  In the
> end you could be successful with either.  Did I say
> they were very
> similar?
>
> > However, I would like to give visitors a GUI that
> they would probably
> > be able to use w/ minimal help, and since most of
> my visitors are
> > Windows folk I figured that Gnome or KDE would be
> suitable choices.
>
> My saying that they are very similar does not help
> you and so I will
> put down my opinion in the "if I were you" case.
>
> I recommend KDE.  It has an easy user interface.  I
> have seen many
> novice computer users successfully navigate the
> default environment
> and accomplish routine tasks without help.  It has
> the ability to be
> configured to be a very windows like look and feel.
> (Depending upon
> your viewpoint, that is bad.)  I think it is more
> colorful out of the
> box than Gnome with more eye-candy for the casual
> computer user.
> Fluff and glitter attracts both fish and computer
> users.

I guess the other question remaining is, which would
be least intrusive to the current setup? Would either
replace wdm w/ their own display manager by default?
I've probably got more of the GNOME libs installed
already since I use GnuCash, Gnumeric and a few other
GTK+ apps and hardly any KDE apps. Oh well. Guess I'll
just try it out and see.....

=====
rascharles@yahoo.com
Hacking is a "Good Thing!"