Re: KDE or Gnome

> This is not to start a flame fest.

A hard task to execute...  KDE and Gnome are very similar.  It would
be much easier to list the similarities than the differences.  Both
are targeting the novice desktop user.  It is hard to say that either
KDE or Gnome is good at something without also saying that the other
one is also good at the same thing.  They are very similar.  In the
end you could be successful with either.  Did I say they were very
similar?

> However, I would like to give visitors a GUI that they would probably
> be able to use w/ minimal help, and since most of my visitors are
> Windows folk I figured that Gnome or KDE would be suitable choices.

My saying that they are very similar does not help you and so I will
put down my opinion in the "if I were you" case.

I recommend KDE.  It has an easy user interface.  I have seen many
novice computer users successfully navigate the default environment
and accomplish routine tasks without help.  It has the ability to be
configured to be a very windows like look and feel.  (Depending upon
your viewpoint, that is bad.)  I think it is more colorful out of the
box than Gnome with more eye-candy for the casual computer user.
Fluff and glitter attracts both fish and computer users.

The programmer in me prefers the Qt library used by KDE because it is
a much more object oriented designed library than GTK+.  This in no
way should be part of your choice as a user of the code since it does
not matter there in the least.  But as KDE grows in popularity so does
use of the Qt library which as a programmer I find more attractive.

Having said all of this I will also say that I use FVWM myself.
Neither KDE nor Gnome are as lightweight nor have as nice of a room
pager.

Bob