Re: another mouse question!!

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 06:56:25PM -0400, Matt Price wrote:

To supplement the correct information nate gave :

| >I am not certain if debian includes these by default.  I use a USB
| >logitech trackman marble wheel on this laptop I'm usin, and the
| >configuration (kernel 2.2) for me is:
| >
| >CONFIG_USB=y
| >CONFIG_USB_UHCI=y
| >CONFIG_USB_HID=y
| >CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
| >CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
| >CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768
|
| sorry,where does this stuff go?

Those are a listing of the options he choose when compiling his
kernel.  If you're using a pre-packaged kernel, you can see
(read-only!) what options where chosen by looking at the file
/boot/config-<version>.

| I'm in kernel 2.4.18 -- don't know how different things will be...

More or less the same.  For my AMD-based system, these are the modules
I would use if I used a prepackaged kernel :
    usb-ohci
    hid
    mousedev

For the Intel-based laptop at work, these are the modules I would use
if I used a prepackaged kernel :
    usb-uhci
    hid
    mousedev

(I actually don't use any modules since I compiled that stuff directly
into my custom kernels)

| >then i have this in /dev:
| >crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  63 Feb 17 23:13 /dev/usbmouse
|
| do I just mkdir /dev/usbmouse, or is there another trick?

No, nate gave the proper command for creating a device node.  If you
enable devfs, however, you will access that as /dev/input/mice (when
one or more mice exist, if no mice exist that file won't exist either).

| >more info in the kernel documentation under Documentation/usb/input.txt
|
| I didn't find input.txt in my Documentation-usb directory -- maybe in
| 2.4 it's all different?

Documentation/input/input.txt.gz.

-D

--

If Microsoft would build a car...
... Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/