Re: PAM problme

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 09:57:51PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:

| Why is it programs running as a user who's a member of the shadow group
| can't authenticate using PAM,

man setgroups

Some programs (eg zope) don't use setgroups(), and thus they don't
pick up all the supplementary groups of their user.

| but setting the group of /etc/shadow to
| the user the process is running under can?

Programs always are themself; you circle around the supplementary
groups problem.

| And what is causing
| ownership of /etc/shadow to reset periodically?

I don't know.

I suspect that you are asking this in relation to exim+auth+pam.  I
haven't check exim specifically, but my guess is that it does not use
setgroups() when it drops privileges to the mail:mail user.  You can
check the source, and even patch it yourself.  I doubt Philip would
accept a patch for exim3, but for exim4 you can ask him :-).

-D

--

Through love and faithfulness sin is atoned for;
through the fear of the Lord a man avoids evil.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/