Re: Too stupid for courier-imap, but uw-imapd works?

mario.vukelic@dantian.org said:
> *Assumption: To retrieve mail from a remote machine when imap
> authenticates by pam, I need a regular account on the remote machine

Not necessarily. Part of what makes courier-imap difficult to understand
is its variety of methods for setting up users. You might need an
account on the courier imap server, but then again you might not. It
depends on where courier is looking for users.

> I ran then "maildirmake Mail" in $HOME. This was prolly bad, nothing I
> tried afterwards worked. I then ran into a posting in the mail archive
> that said "maildirmake Maildir" was the way to go.
>
> *Assumption: courier wants it called Maildir, not Mail

Yes. I looked fairly hard for a way to change this, but I couldn't find
one. For regular (pam) users, the location of the mailbox _must_ be a
maildir located at ~user/Maildir. I found that you can convert exim to
deliver in maildir format, make /var/mail/user be a maildir, make
~user/Maildir a symlink to /var/mail/user, and it works.

The solution I finally went with was creating a courier-style userdb
(thus using virtual accounts), and having their mail delivered by exim
to /var/spool/imap. I can post the exim configs for this if anyone
wants to see them.

> Also, how can I move over my old mails (delivered through uw-imapd) to
> courier?

use mutt to save the messages from the old folder to the new one.

Jason