Re: xf86/bs/delete just checking

> > if in X all my non-term stuff is treating "that key in the corner
> > above the enter key" as "delete forward"

> > or "something's not right" and I should investigate whether I have
> > extraneous/wrong configuration files somewhere ?

> "Something's not right".
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s10.8 ("Keyboard
> configuration") is the authoritative reference to what's supposed to
> happen.

Did you just install debian on your computer or has it been running
for a while?  If you have just installed one of the installation
questions is about the keyboard mapping.  One of the answers (at least
previously when I was playing with it) was to set up the behavior you
described by making "that key" behave like the keypad delete.  At a
guess I think you may have done that and now I think you have the
wrong keymap installed.

The boot time key map is:

  /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz

Other keymaps are usually stored under /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty.
If you find a corrected one then replace that file with the corrected
one.

Try this or other appropriate keymap:

  loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.kmap.gz

I don't know if you have to be on the console and not in X11, but I
would only run this from a non-X11 console while testing it out.  I
think you would have to restart X11 to have it take effect there.

Bob