xf86/bs/delete just checking

ok... I'm at woody now... xfree86 4ish

since it looks like the last comment about this on this list was over a
year ago (from what I can tell) I just wanna doublecheck on something
before I fiddle with stuff

from Debian's point of view (ie, the point of view of correctly unpacked
 and configured current woody packages)

if in X all my non-term stuff is treating "that key in the corner
above the enter key" as "delete forward"

is that "the way it's supposed to be" and preferring it to be "delete
backward/backspace" is a personal preference involving making changes in
various configuration/keymap files

or "something's not right" and I should investigate whether I have
extraneous/wrong configuration files somewhere ?

-Alice