Re: openssh sshd user vs. group ???

Again, thank you, for getting me up to speed ;>

Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 10:41:34AM -0500, Michael D. Schleif wrote:
> > Colin Watson wrote:
> > > That is correct. /var/empty would be an FHS violation; /home/sshd as the
> > > home directory of the sshd user was just a transient mistake.
> >
> > Interesting -- how so?
> Which, /var/empty or /home/sshd?
> "Violation" is perhaps a bit strong, but the FHS says:
>        Applications should generally not add directories to the top level of
>        /var.  Such directories should only be added if they have some system-
>        wide implication, and in consultation with the FHS mailing list.
> /home/sshd is a bad idea because nothing should be stored in the sshd
> user's home directory. It's there purely to trap people who break in.

That being said, and I do not disagree, then what does this logic say
about /var/www ???

Best Regards,

mds resource

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .