Re: openssh sshd user vs. group ???

Colin Watson wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 12:17:20AM -0500, Michael D. Schleif wrote:
> > Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

> [...]
> > ``When privsep is enabled, during the pre-authentication phase sshd will
> > chroot(2) to "/var/empty" and change its privileges to the "sshd" user
> > and its primary group.
>
> "Its primary group" doesn't have to be called sshd. There's no
> particular reason to create a separate group.

Other than the source documentation; and, of course, lack of
distribution documentation on this point . . .

> > The apt-get install process created that same sshd user; but, there is
> > *NO* /home/sshd directory.
>
> There's no reason why you should think from the documentation that
> /home/sshd needs to exist either.

Since I do *NOT* have the Makefile used to compile the distribution, I
cannot know much about the distribution compile -- hence, I ask leading
questions ;>

> The Debian package is configured slightly differently from that
> /var/empty recommendation in order to follow policy better. It uses
> /var/run/sshd instead. Other than that there's no difference from the
> documentation.

In fact, why not make /var/run/sshd home directory for sshd user?  That
way, those of us who are really slow might eventually catch up on this
at our own pace ;>

OK, yes, I do understand both the TIMTOWTDI arguments and yours.

I know what the README.privsep doc says, because I needed to build ssh
for our embedded application and I read the source documentation.

I also know that the source provides an sshd.8 manpage that includes,
among else, this:

  /var/empty
	chroot(2) directory used by sshd during privilege separation in
	the pre-authentication phase.  The directory should not contain
	any files and must be owned by root and not group or world-
	writable.

What I do find, except for this very thread, is:

[a] debian *NOT* following the source documentation;

[b] *NO* /var/empty nor /home/sshd directories;

[c] *NO* debian documentation publishing these deviations from source
instructions;

[d] debian documentation deviates from source documentation, including
manpages; and

[e] *NO* debian documentation demonstrating that these changes achieve
same goals as source distribution.

Notice, I am *NOT* attempting to be critical here!  Yes, now that you
mention it, I do find this in sshd.8:

  /var/run/sshd
	chroot(2) directory used by sshd during privilege separation in
	the pre-authentication phase.  The directory should not contain
	any files and must be owned by root and not group or world-
	writable.

For whatever reason, my eyeballs skipped from /etc/moduli to
/var/run/sshd.pid under FILES section.

We depend on ssh to facilitate highest possible security for our
systems!  Deviations from what *IS* documented cast doubt -- at least,
from my perspective.

Of course, that is why I have posted this in the first place ;>

Now, I do understand.  Nevertheless, I think that debian could make such
things clearer at the outset, rather than prompting me to doubt and
question -- or, perhaps, I am just daft ;>

What do you think?

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .