mouse wheel (was Re: Operational, finally! sort of...)

* Barry Michels (bmichels@desktop) [020703 03:24]:
> I'm finally feeling comfortable in Linux for the first time.  After much
> work, I got my nVidia card working (had to bypass the xfs and enter all the
> paths by hand).  The performance is very good on this machine.
>
> There's only 2 problems I have left to resolve before I'll be doing
> everything in Linux that I did in Windows:  my mouse wheel doesn't work (it's
> an IntellimouseExplorer connected through PS2) and I can't watch TV under

You don't mention whether you use the mouse exclusively with X or also
with gpm on the console.

If it's just in X, the mouse device in your XF86Config(-4)? will be
/dev/psaux . You just have to change your mouse type to "ImPS/2" and
have a ZAxisMapping line, something like this:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
EndSection

If you're using gpm to repeat the console mouse data into X, you'll see
your device line specifying /dev/gpmdata . You'll need to ensure that
both X and gpm are using the correct info. Ensure that X is set to
ImPS/2 and has ZAxisMapping as above, and ensure that your gpm.conf
specifies the mouse type "imps2" and repeat type raw, something like
this:

device=/dev/psaux
repeat_type=raw
type=imps2

The basic gist of the situation is to make sure you're using imps2
instead of just ps2, to get the wheel events.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/