Re: Network setup eth0 +/- ppp0

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 03:27:13PM +0200, Robert Ian Smit wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get my Sun Sparcstation to access the internet
> and NFS mounts on my main system. I don't know a lot about
> networking and am trying to understand at least the basics.
>
> I am not sure what's going wrong, but I guess if the basics are not
> well in place, the rest won't work.
>
> So I would like to know, how one is supposed to setup eth0 in a
> machine that uses the physical interface behind eth0 to access the
> internet via ppp0.

[I'm assuming you're using ADSL or cable with PPPOE to connect to the
Internet]
Have you installed the pppoe and pppoeconf packages?  I've
never used pppoe, but they sure do sound like they do want you want them
to.  Once that part is working, and you can connect to the Internet, the
next step is to get your box to 'route' packets for the internal network
(your SparcStation).  I'm assuming you only have one available IP (you'd
know if you had more;), so you'll need to use 'IP masquerading to let
your internal network hide behind the one IP you do have.  The easiest
way is to install the 'ipmasq' package, which will handle virtually all
simple cases fairly automatically.  Once this is working, you should be
all set to go.

Once you can access the 'net through your Debian system, have a look at
things like Squid (a caching HTTP and FTP proxy) and pdnsd (a caching
nameserver).  They're a big help on my 56k modem link, and they might be
of some use over DSL too.

> I have eth1 to talk to my network (well, one other machine). I want
> to use the 192.168.1.x range for my local machines.
>
> Intel eth0 = 192.168.1.1
> Intel eth1 = 192.168.1.2
> Intel ppp0 = automagically assigned by ISP/dial-in script
> Sparc eth0 = 192.168.1.3
>
> I want eth1 to be used for the 192.168.1.0 network . What setting
> does the eth0 interface need, so that ppp0 operation will not be
> interrupted and not interfere with any routing from and through the
> Sparc eth0 and Intel eth1 interface? (excuse the layman speak)

The eth0/ppp0 stuff should be handled by the pppoe stuff I mentioned
above.  For the rest, edit /etc/network/interfaces and set the eth1
values to what you have above.  The netmask should be 255.255.255.0 in
this case.  I have no idea how to set this up on Solaris.

> I hope I have made myself clear. Once I am sure about the basic eth*
> interfaces, I can work up to the higher level NAT, firewall, inetd
> stuff I hope.

Hopefully this will get you some of the way along.  Don't be afraid to
write back to the list for more help, if/when you need it.

-rob