Re: Network setup eth0 +/- ppp0

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 05:47:52PM +1000, Rob Weir wrote:

> [I'm assuming you're using ADSL or cable with PPPOE to connect to the
> Internet]

I use a cable connection. I have no problems connecting to the
internet from my Debian on x86 system. I am trying to use it as a
gateway for the other machine, which my system setup as of yet does
not do.

> The eth0/ppp0 stuff should be handled by the pppoe stuff I mentioned
> above.  For the rest, edit /etc/network/interfaces and set the eth1
> values to what you have above.  The netmask should be 255.255.255.0 in
> this case.  I have no idea how to set this up on Solaris.

For the moment, I am not trying to get Debian on the Sparc. I want
to try Solaris first. I have installed a hard-drive from my
collection of retired hardware (don't want to risk losing
everything). I need a Solaris x86 install to get boot/install server
for the Sparc.

> Hopefully this will get you some of the way along.  Don't be afraid to
> write back to the list for more help, if/when you need it.

Thanks for your reply. Once, I get back to my normal setup, I will
continue to look at the problem. I will then check the ppp scripts.
At the moment my box insists to route everything through eth0 first
for the local network. It's not until I add a route to the Sparc ip
manually through eth1 before I can see the Sparc.

I'll come back to this and maybe have more questions.

Bob