Re: nmap little sense if run on yourself?

On 03 Jul 2002 14:49:08 +0800
Dan Jacobson <jidanni@dman.ddts.net> wrote:

> Is it true that nmap makes little sense if you run it to check the
> machine it is running on?
>
> So where is a free site that will do the nmap checks across the
> network on me?   Not hackerwacker please.  Tried grc.com BTW.

Yes, it has been my experience that nmap finds open ports that external
port scanners do not find.

nmap says my box has 3 open ports, two of them below 1024.  When scanned
by http://scan.sygate.com there are no ports open.  Give it a try for
yourelf.
__
Neal
Registered Linux User #159445, Libranet Linux 2.0/ext3/XFce
Athlon 800 MHz Desktop and Toshiba 2140XCDS laptop.