Re: Particular fetchmail setup

On Mit, Jul 03, 2002 at 02:36:41 +0200, Erik van der Meulen wrote:
> I have managed to get Fetchmail running from the command line. Would
> anyone be willing to give me a peek at an /etc/fetchmailrc file so I can
> use that as example to create my own?

i just setup my new workstation @work with fetchmail, so i think i could
assist you a little bit.

a very simple setup for POP3 look like this:

--[~/.fetchmailrc]--
set daemon 300

poll pop.domain.org protocol POP3
	user popuser is localuser
	password mysecret
	ssl
--[END]--

this does the following:

if fetchmail is started with no further arguments, it will run (thank to
"set daemon") in the background and poll new messages every 5 minutes
(300 seconds). you can stop fetching mails with "fetchmail -q".
i put a simply

# fetch mails
/usr/bin/fetchmail

into my .bash_profile. so everytime i log in, fetchmail get's started.
no need to put an & at the end.
consequently, i put

# stop fetchmail
/usr/bin/fetchmail -q

into .bash_logout to stop fetching when i log off. fetchmail checks the
.fetchmail.pid file, so it doesn't start twice and know it's PID if it
should terminate.

to the configuration:

the host pop.domain.org get's polled via POP3. the pop-3 loginname is
popuser and the mail gets delivered to the user localuser by means of a
tcp/ip localhost delivery. the password option should be self-explained.

the "ssl" option tries to use SSL.

for more tricks (e.g. fetching via ssh tunneling) simply ask. there are
tons of options within fetchmail. be sure to read the manual page for
fetchmail.

HTH

 - regards from switzerland, turrican