Re: sound and network on new kernel

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 06:24:57PM -0400, Matt Wozniski wrote:
> ok...  i installed debian potato, and upgraded to woody, i was left
> running a
> 2.2.19 kernel that i could connect to the network with, but that didn't
> support
> my sound card.  i tried to compile a new kernel that would give me sound
> and network support, made sure that my net driver was loadable as a module
> and made the kernel, copied the files to /boot and configured and ran lilo.
> with the new kernel, i have sound, but i can't connect to my network, and i
> have no idea why, the only clue i have is that my soundcard and nic use the
> same irq, but that shouldn't be a problem because they're both pci.  anyone
> have any ideas what's wrong?

You havent installed the modules ?

They should be in /lib/modules/<version>/

make modules_install should do that for you. It might even do the depmod -ae
bit too. Try that if your modules are in the right place. It might help you
never know.

I tend just to use kernel-package to compile and install kernels. It does
all the remembering for you.

Alan