sound and network on new kernel

ok... i installed debian potato, and upgraded to woody, i was left running a 2.2.19 kernel that i could connect to the network with, but that didn't support
my sound card.  i tried to compile a new kernel that would give me sound
and network support, made sure that my net driver was loadable as a module
and made the kernel, copied the files to /boot and configured and ran lilo.
with the new kernel, i have sound, but i can't connect to my network, and i
have no idea why, the only clue i have is that my soundcard and nic use the
same irq, but that shouldn't be a problem because they're both pci.  anyone
have any ideas what's wrong?