Re: tunneled ssh connection is constantly dropped

On 02/07/02 Timo Benk did speaketh:

> Hi,
>
> I set up an ssh tunnel with the following cmd:
> #ssh -g -C -N -L 8080:localhost:80 user@somehost.somedomain.com &
>
> After a few minutes i got the following msg back and the
> ssh exits.
>
> Received disconnect from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: 2: No open channels after
> timeout!

    I recently fixed a problem like this. Is your connection NAT'd on the way
out? Is it dying 15 minutes after being idle, or is it dying while you're
working?

    For me, I found out that the default idle timeout for tcp with ipchains is
15 minutes, so my idle ssh sessions were dying when I returned to them. I
fixed this by lowering my tcp keepalive time in
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix