Re: should I try ext3 filesystems even though barely documented?

Bob Proulx wrote:

What is this I hear about "ext3" filesystems, is it worth the change
for junior home user me, and mainly, on woody, I do

yeah, granted, a fsck on a disk that large can take time, but your 140 gigs still doesn't qualify as a compelling reason for me to change mine. working with 6 gigs, it really doesn't provide a great advantage. dan was asking for a whyto more than a howto, so i guess the answer would be size of disk * power failure.

A good metric for the original poster.  Pull the power plug out and
reboot.  Time how long it takes to fsck the disks.  If the time is
acceptable, say a minute, then ext3 does not buy you significant
advantage.  If that time is 30 minutes then ext3 buys you 30 minutes.

Or you can just do "touch /forcefsck" and reboot. That's if you don't mind skipping the fun of giving your computer a cardiac arrest. ;)

-Alex