Re: should I try ext3 filesystems even though barely documented?

> yeah, granted, a fsck on a disk that large can take time, but your 140 gigs
> still doesn't qualify as a compelling reason for me to change mine. working
> with 6 gigs, it really doesn't provide a great advantage. dan was asking for
> a whyto more than a howto, so i guess the answer would be size of disk *
> power failure.

A good metric for the original poster.  Pull the power plug out and
reboot.  Time how long it takes to fsck the disks.  If the time is
acceptable, say a minute, then ext3 does not buy you significant
advantage.  If that time is 30 minutes then ext3 buys you 30 minutes.

The advantage to ext3 is that fsck of disks after a crash will happen
in a few seconds instead of a few minutes.  Laptops are particularly
susceptible to unexpected power outages and therefore have long been
taking advantage of this.  If you have a ups on your computer and
usually cleanly shut down, never experiencing any long fsck times then
there is no advantage.

I also have been using ext3 and I note no disadvantage.  All things
being equal it is good to use.

If you are concerned about shred'ing data, you know who you are and
you are <1% of the user population, then journalling is bad for you
since it defeats traditional file shred routines like 'shred'.  If you
don't know about shred then you don't need to either.

Bob