Re: Linux IPmasq - OneNIC?

On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 01:24:24PM -0400, Rohan Deshpande wrote:
> Hey Dave,
>
> Thanks for the help!  But, I was wondering, I'm having problems finding out the IP Aliasing kernel option in menuconfig, and also I use the debian ipmasq package with iptables so im not sure how to set it all up with aliased nics.  Any pointers you can give me?

I looked in my 2.2.12 kernel it is in network options ...

CONFIG_IP_ALIAS=y

but in 2.4, I do not see it, but it seems to be _on_ by default.

to test it try:

ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.1.254 (or some other harless address.

if it works, aliasiasing is on...

I use it with Masq and firewalls like this ...

bring up the interface with ifconfig as above,
add a route to the new network:

/sbin/route add 192.168.1.0 eth0:1

then start your iptables ... as I pointed out, iptables does not care if
the addresses it is filtering are on the same physical NIC... if your
rules specify IP addresses, then iptables will act on those addresses
wherever they occur.

aloha,
dave