Re: openssh

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 10:16:00AM -0400, Alan Shutko wrote:
> Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:
> [...]
> > the security update is available for those who need it, the maintainer
> > is essentially waiting for some of the fuss to die down and for some of
> > the outstanding problems with OpenSSH 3.4 on Linux to be ironed out
> > before pushing it into unstable.
>
> Now, that's an ironic twist.  Waiting for the problems to be ironed
> out in stable before pushing it into unstable.
>
> [Disclaimer: This post is merely humor, and is not intended to
> disparage anyone in anyway, except maybe Theo.]

That echos my thoughts exactly!  I have been laughing about this for
the past half hour.  Which leads to another question.

What is the recommended action for those of us that live on
'unstable'?  Should we update from the new 'woody' security repository
that Collin posted just previously in this thread?

And to be specific about how things should work would we switch the
sources.list file to contain all woody repositories plus security in a
"normal" setup so that we can get a complete woody update or would
just adding the woody security repository in addition to unstable be
enough.  I know I can change back to sid from woody after the update.
I am just trying to understand the recommended security update
proceedure for sid.  Something I had not encountered before.

Also, my sid machines do not border the Internet so this is not
critical at this time.  (Fending off comments about using sid in
critical locations such as attached directly to the Internet.)  But
the whole point of unstable is to be on the latest and being behind
with ssh is an odd place to be when running unstable.

Thanks
Bob