Re: openssh

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 08:54:13AM -0400, Scott Henson wrote:
> I was upgrading my unstable system today and I saw that I was getting a
> version from unstable.  I also noticed that it was only version 1.x

Er, that's strange. Details ('apt-cache policy ssh')? Are you sure you
aren't looking at ssh-nonfree?

> Now with openssh 3.4 out and all I was wondering why unstable doesn't
> have a new version.  I saw the ssh2 package, but it has a note about a
> more restrictive license.  But on the openssh site it said it was
> under the bsd license.  Is the ssh2 package openssh or something
> different.

The ssh2 package is the commercial ssh.com version. I recommend ignoring
it.

> Also, why hasnt there been a new version.  Im just wondering because I
> would like to try out the new openssh, but I would like to try it out
> as a deb.  Is no one maintaining this package?  It seems like a pretty
> important package to me.

Try woody/updates on security.debian.org.

ssh *does* have an active maintainer, but the updated packages on
security.debian.org have been provided by the security team. Given that
the security update is available for those who need it, the maintainer
is essentially waiting for some of the fuss to die down and for some of
the outstanding problems with OpenSSH 3.4 on Linux to be ironed out
before pushing it into unstable.