Re: NTP Server

> >Is there a simple way to set up a NTP Server on Debian? I tried the ntp
> >(and the ntp-simple | ntp-reclock) package but it seemed that this was
> >only a client ntp daemon. It hasn't to be very acurate... just a time
> >server wich LAN clients can "ntpdate" to.
>
> The ntp and ntp-simple packages are actually what you're looking for.
>
> The client NTP daemon can handle time syncronozation requests for your
> local LAN as well as keep the time synchronized on the host it's running on.

As a first pass, check with your ISP.  Most ISPs run NTP on their
servers.  You should sync to your ISP servers if possible.  That will
make a most efficient distribution tree for ntp data.

I find that most ISP support completely forgets to document NTP as
your typical Winclient does not need it.  Therefore you won't find
much information and frequently the first level tech support will be
confused by your request as only unix folks ask for this.  If that
happens to you then just use the ISP DNS servers as your NTP servers.
The load is compatible.  Most of the time that is a fine answer.

Use 'dig example.com' to dump information for your domain.  Find
the nameservers listed in the ";;AUTHORITY SECTION:".  Note those.
Check that they are running NTP.

  ntpq -p ns1.example.com

If that returns what looks like reasonable information then you are in
good shape.  Put 'server ns1.example.com' in your /etc/ntp.conf file
and restart the ntp daemons '/etc/init.d/ntp restart'.  The
recommendation is to have at least two servers listed so that at any
given moment one can be down for maintenance and the other will keep
you running.

After your daemons have run for a little while check there status with
'ntpq -p' and see that your daemons are syncing.  Now that you have a
server that is syncing on your network have your other machines sync
to your server.  Be kind to your upsream and do not overload your
upstream.  Sync your lan to your own server.

If you need to go beyond your ISP because they do not provide this
service at all then here is the NTP home page which has very detailed
information.  It is good to read this anyway.

  http://www.ntp.org (aka http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/)

Under there you will find this list of public NTP servers.  Find one
with a low ping time to you that is open and available for you to use.

  http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.htm

Read that page and as noted please respect the terms of use.  Most
servers are made available out of the goodness of the operators
hearts.  Be a good neighbor and respect their conditions of use.

HTH
Bob