Re: wheel mouse wheel not working

When I went into XF86Setup, it said I was using /dev/gpmdata , but when I opened XF86Config, it said I'm using /dev/mouse . I would've checked XF86Config last night, but at first it couldn't find it, and once it finally did find it, it wouldn't let me open it.

BTW, that version number is correct only if the manpage is up-to-date. I don't know how to find the version number any other way.

Anyway, on to the update. I went into XF86Setup a few minutes ago and tried tweaking some of the mouse settings and found out that: /dev/psaux doesn't work at all; Setup still insists that the device is /dev/gpmdata even though the config file (which, I assume, is what actually matters?) states otherwise; the IMPS/2 protocol doesn't work; and all hell breaks loose if I set the Emulate3Timeout to 0.

BTW, assuming I have the version number correct, how do I get a more up-to-date version of XFree86? I have the Potato version of Debian, and the only version of XF86 that dselect has listed is the one I already have.

Thanks for all your help so far!

Vineet Kumar wrote:

* Vikki Roemer (vikki@2khiway.net) [020625 09:37]:
My version of XFree86 is 3.3.5 .

From my /etc/X11/XF86Config file:

Section "Pointer"
 Protocol        "IntelliMouse"
 Device          "/dev/mouse"
 BaudRate        1200
 Emulate3Timeout 50
 Resolution      200
EndSection

Was that the right file? It looks different than what everyone else is posting.

I notice you said you were using /dev/gpmdata. IMO, that's the right
thing to do. It's the only thing to do if you also want to be able to
use your mouse on the text consoles as well as in X. If not, just remove
gpm and use /dev/psaux. To keep gpm around and use X, and use the wheel,
make your gpm.conf look like this:

device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
repeat_type=raw