Problems with 2.4. series kernels and Adaptec scsi card

I am still running the 2.2 series kernels on my machine, because I've
been unsuccessful compiling and running a 2.4 series kernel.
I have an Adaptec AHA-2940 scsi card.  When the kernel tries to boot,
I get SCB-related errors.  I'm not certain what they are, I think they
are control block errors.  I can't send an error log, because the system
crashes with a kernel panic.  I have no such errors with the 2.2 series
kernels.  Can anyone offer assistance or hints?

Thanks much,
	Russ