Re: Problems with 2.4. series kernels and Adaptec scsi card

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 10:42:32AM -0500, Russ Cook wrote:
> I am still running the 2.2 series kernels on my machine, because I've
> been unsuccessful compiling and running a 2.4 series kernel.
> I have an Adaptec AHA-2940 scsi card.  When the kernel tries to boot,

I'd suggest using make-kpkg with the '--initrd' flag and a kernel config
that has aic7xxx (CONFIG_SCSI_AIC7XXX) and your root filesystem either
built in or as modules.  The resulting deb package will build an initrd
image that will load these modules before mounting root. Remember to
tell your boot loader to use the initrd image.

If you don't use an initrd image then you have to compile these directly
into the kernel.

BTW: I use the same card, and it works fine with kernel-image-2.4.18-686.
Start with the config that uses, and make your modifications from there.