Re: Problems with 2.4. series kernels and Adaptec scsi card

On Saturday 22 June 2002 08:42 am, Russ Cook wrote:
> I am still running the 2.2 series kernels on my machine, because I've
> been unsuccessful compiling and running a 2.4 series kernel.
> I have an Adaptec AHA-2940 scsi card.  When the kernel tries to boot,
> I get SCB-related errors.  I'm not certain what they are, I think they
> are control block errors.  I can't send an error log, because the system
> crashes with a kernel panic.  I have no such errors with the 2.2 series
> kernels.  Can anyone offer assistance or hints?
>
> Thanks much,
> 	Russ

Hey Russ,

	No offense implied or intended, but I think this is a common "new user" type
of error. I made it a NUMBER of times with my first scsi machine. Compile the
scsi support DIRECTLY into the kernel. If you do it as a module, the machine
will NOT be able to find the os during boot because the scsi is yet to be
loaded.
	If I've misread, /ignore griz applys well. :--)

- --
                           OutCast Computer Consultants of Central Oregon
                                 http://outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
                                 griz@outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
      (541) 504-1388  /\IRC: 205.227.115.251:6667:#OutCasts /\ICQ: UIN 138930